Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Deady Drinks

In May of 2011, I was at a bar attending my room mate's going away party. Her cousin bought a round of "chocolate cake shots" for everyone. So what's in this tasty shot??

Chocolate Cake Shot Ingredients:
  • 1 fluid ounce hazelnut liqueur (frangelico)
  • 1/2 fluid ounce vodka
  • 1 lemon, cut into wedges
  • white sugar
Who would have thought there were nuts in this CLEAR colored shot! I immediately swelled up from 1 oz of hazelnut liqueur, so this stuff is potent. Below is a list of alcohol that contains nuts. I have bolded the most common ones!
  • Creme d'amande, de noix, & de noyaux are nut based liqueurs
  • Amadeus from Austria is a nut based alcohol
  • There is an almond version of Galliano, but usually you just encounter the regular one (vanilla flavored)
  • Amaretto (almonds)
  • Bellota (acorns)
  • Dumante (pistachio)
  • Frangelico (hazelnut)
  • Kahana Royale (macadamia nut)
  • Nocello (walnut and hazelnut)
  • Nocino (unripe green walnuts)
  • Castries Peanut Rum Creme (peanut)
  • Peanut Lolita (peanut)
  • Ratafia (brandy flavored with almonds, fruit, or fruit kernels - also a flavored biscuit)
  • Bombay Sapphire Gin (Almonds)
    • Gin: Some gins use almond extract in processing
  • Southern Comfort (contain derivatives from tree nuts)
  • Kahlua Hazelnut
  • KahlĂșa Ready-to-Drink products contain dairy, soy beans, and tree nuts.  This includes Banana Mudslide, Chocolate Latte, Kappuccino, Original Mudslide, and White Russian
  • Amadeus (walnut)
  • Charbay Nostalgie (black walnut) )
  • Lazzaroni Ameretto (almond)
  • Ratafua (brandy flavored with almond)
  • Eblana - Irish Whisky (almond, peanut)
  • Kazkar (Cashew)
  • Dirty Squirrel (Hazelnut beer)
  • Goober Oatmeal Stout (peanuts)
This is living list and I will update on a regular basis if I hear of anything new. Please let me know if you know of any other liquors that contain nuts, specifically beers and wines!

-Sarah-

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Sounds like we're living a mirror life! I too am very allergic...easier to list what not allergic to then what I am allergic to. Had a scare this morning. Bought a NEW coffee bean...how silly of me to even think that was a good idea. I even took the precautions and asked the shop owner if they could look up what was creating the flavor of the coffee. Well in manufacturer specifically listed contains no nuts...vanilla, caramel & Kahlua. OK! I was excited. Coffee smells amazing. As soon as I started smelling it, I started to feel weird. Drinking it??? Tongue was burning, face itched a bit, throat a little soar. I couldn't figure out for the life of me what the problem could be. Until.....it hit me what's Kahlua made of? According to the Kahlua website, all Kahlua is made with tree nuts. NICE!!!! Rule of thumb, just stick to what you know is good. And, yes it's boring! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being my first comment Spice Lady! :)

    It is so scary having allergies! I'm so happy you are okay and it's always best to just stay away from new foods haha Eating boring is eating safe and peace of mind is priceless :)

    ReplyDelete